Struck shows us her strokes
Watercolorist Alice Struck visited us for our October 26, 2021, meeting and what a delight she was!
Alice arrived to the Art Lounge prepared for a complete demonstration. Being a plein air painter, she has her supplies always ready to go.
Besides sharing her watercolor techniques, Alice told her theory of how she approaches her artwork.
- Choose meaningful subject matter to you
- Think about what you like most about it and focus on that
- Research is important, including background on the subject as well as honing your skills
- Set the stage for it to happen like gathering reference materials or thinking through the steps to create the artwork
- Commit—start laying down color, decide to focus on art as a career, or maybe entering a show
- Stay with it and don’t give up
She reminded us that we don’t have to travel far for inspiration. “Paint what you’re going through.” This advice derives from her Art Therapy career, and can certainly help when you’re staring at a blank canvas!
Truly an honor to watch this current Wisconsin Watercolor Society President lay down colors, scrape with her palette knife and twist her brush for our group.